Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Our Own Worst Enemy

A must-read article about how we Catholics can be our own worst enemy.
No, it’s not the nastiness, the abuse, even the death threats from the Catholicophobes that concern me. It’s the attacks from within. Let’s be even more specific. There are those who describe themselves as being Catholic, but reject much if not most of what the Church teaches. They have little influence outside of ostensibly Catholic schools and universities, and I expect these troubled types to be upset at me. They see the emergence of the new orthodoxy and know that their time is up. I heard recently that a school chaplain had said “Coren can’t speak here, he’s too divisive.” I translated to the shocked and disappointed teacher who told me this. “Don’t worry,” I said. “It means too Catholic.”

Again, to be expected. What does trouble me, however, are those serious, orthodox Catholics who simply cannot take yes for an answer. Nobody and nothing is Catholic enough, good enough or perhaps bitter and dark enough to satisfy them. You know the types. The love is really deep; so deep you could dig for days and never find it. Every politician should be excommunicated, anyone not completely against abortion is “pro-death” and I positively despise the people in the pews next to me.

They prefer the bunker to the banquet, the ghetto to the get-together. They are defined by how much pain they claim to have, believe that the remnant of the remnant is all that can save us, and the remnant of the remnant is them — or maybe on a good day the handful of people who are their equally strident Facebook friends. Odd as it may seen, they blog and use the Internet a lot, largely because they don’t trust the mainstream media, which for them means everyone in journalism apart from their favourite right-winger, who usually loses them when he inevitably doesn’t follow the line on something or other.

No archbishop, however devout and courageous, is ever quite conservative enough for them and always part of a cabal or a conspiracy, and no Catholic activist or author ever quite sufficiently pure. They claim to believe in Church authority, but constantly bash Catholic leaders; they claim to love Jesus, but they seldom turn the other cheek or love their friends, let alone their enemies; they see glasses, and chalices, half empty when they’re half full; and, extremely worrying this, they receive the body of Christ with numerous complaints and vendettas against their fellow worshippers.

Rather than being living witnesses to the joy that comes from knowing God, they’re living proof for critics of the Church that we’re lugubrious and that we cannot see the abundant goodness that is the world that God gave us. They rightly discuss abortion a great deal, but wrongly see abortion as a stand-alone project and not part of a greater brokenness. Humanity has to be healed at every level, and the killing of the unborn is only one, if the most vehement, symptom of our demise and decay. In other words, they object to unborn babies being killed, but do not seem to like the adults the lucky ones become. (Read entire post.)
Share

3 comments:

MadMonarchist said...

Amen! Amen I say! I have seen this far more than I would like and it never ceases to baffle me. Some seem determined to make everyone an enemy only to then complain that the whole world is against them. If they ever got all that they want I really think they would have a nervous breakdown -their life would be without meaning. Too many are consumed by the "I'm right and everyone else is wrong" mentality.

Brantigny said...

I may with this comment throw nay thrust myself into the camp of those who Michael Coren is taking about. Possibly it is I who read this letter wrong.

In his article Michael speaks with a dislike of those who are of a orthodox bent and yet the very word means "right thinking." Is it wrong to believe that a pro-abortion supporter is pro-death? Isn't that what the meaning of abortion is? Certainly it does not mean pro-life.

"They claim to believe in Church authority, but constantly bash Catholic leaders". I'm sorry but we have "catholic leaders" who are not Catholic, examples are, Nancy Pelosi, John Kerry, the late Ted Kennedy, the list goes on... "A man cannot serve two masters." They speak (or spoke) of a womans right to choose yet, what of the childs right to choose?

"They rightly discuss abortion a great deal, but wrongly see abortion as a stand-alone project and not part of a greater brokenness. Humanity has to be healed at every level, and the killing of the unborn is only one, if the most vehement, symptom of our demise and decay." Cardinal Bernardine could have written these very words. Killing of the unborn is the greatest evil of our time, it is not a symptom, it is one of the many diseases. With the demise of that evil the other social injustices will not, can not prevail.

This may have been a disjointed comment but I am about to go into the Dorms and visit with my case load, who hide (bury) the face of Christ with skill.

SgtMaj Swartzenbach once told me this when all else fails go back to the basics. We have forgotten the basics, and the enemy is insidous. The evil one lurks everywhere. Maybe Micheal Coran should understand that maybe these "orthodox" Catholics jsut see this clearer.

Richard.

MadMonarchist said...

I've gotten into this before with someone. It doesn't occur to me than insulting Pelosi, Kerry or Giuliani etc is insulting Catholic leaders because I don't consider them Catholics. Simple as that.

Maybe I got it wrong. I thought he was referring to people who think the Pope is not a Catholic, that it is wrong to shake hands with a Protestant or that I'm angering God when I send my Buddhist adopted mother a Christmas present. Those for whom, if it isn't entirely in Latin, it isn't a real mass. Well, I'd love to have a Latin mass to go to but there isn't one within a hundred of miles of me (Mexicans like their guitars) so I don't have an option and I don't appreciate being criticized or having my faith called into question for things I have no control over.

How about everyone agrees to agree that he was just talking about whatever people we don't like? That way we can all be happy :)