Thursday, December 3, 2009

Tour de France

Some compelling reflections from Australian author R. J. Stove. (Via The Western Confucian) To quote:
Correct me if I’m wrong—did the French not produce Zola, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Laplace, Galois, the lovely prose of Alexis De Tocqueville, and indeed about 12,000 shelf-feet of such like? ... The French respect intelligence, whereas we are deeply suspicious of it. I’m not sure that intelligence has much place in diplomacy, other than to let one make bad choices in better prose. Still, misjudgment engaged in with class at least makes better reading for later students of history. Whatever their failings, the French do not cultivate boorishness. ... We didn’t either, once.
Share

3 comments:

Theodore Harvey said...

I have mixed feelings about this sort of thing, because while I have nothing in common with neocon Americanist Francophobes, I cannot accept the Republic either. The true France is Catholic and Royal, the France you write about. I'm disappointed that R J Stove--who I believe is not entirely without monarchist sympathies--only hints at that.

elena maria vidal said...

Theodore, the article, written some time ago, is about contemporary France, which has a great heritage in spite of the damage caused by the Revolution.

lara77 said...

You are right Elena Maria about France's culture; it never dimmed no matter the government in Paris OR Versailles! I have to agree with Theodore in not accepting the Republic. In my opinion it demeans France as her heritage is Catholic and Royal. Though in the end the French are happy with their choice! I feel sorry for the outnumbered French Royalists.