Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Hope of November 2006 by Lew Rockwell

Here is an interesting overview of the state of politics in America by Lew Rockwell. He says that a solid education is vital for a free people. I have the growing impression that people are not taught to reason anymore, but lap up whatever is fed to them by the media.

I am grateful that as a child my parents encouraged lively discussions around the dinner table. The television was in the basement, and so it did not monopolize the family dynamic. We had plenty of books and read aloud to each other, which enriched our conversations. We studied Scripture as a family. We spent a lot of time outdoors, too, roaming the woods, playing with our pets, interacting with friends. I think so many factors contributed to us being strong individuals with independent thought. Now that I am a parent myself I appreciate all the more what my father and mother did for us. Oh, we, my siblings and I, are far from perfect, but at least (I hope) we are not automatons to be manipulated by the media, or by the state. Share

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

So, so true!

By the way, your books look absolutely intriguing and I may have to add them to my Christmas wishlist! Especially after having suffered through Coppola's drivel.

elena maria vidal said...

Thanks, Stephanie! Yes, many of us are disappointed that the film turned out to be so bad. Marie-Antoinette deserves better than a two hour music video. And the same old myth of the queen's frivolity bringing on the Revolution. The Revolution was caused by those who wanted political power for themselves, not by poor Marie-Antoinette. I will be writing more about that in the next few days.

Thanks for stopping by!!

elena maria vidal said...

You are so right, dear Georgette!